Government tenders smart meter communications and data services contracts
The Department of Energy and Climate Change has issued a tender for smart metering data and communications contracts. These services will then be contracted to the data and communications company (DCC), once that has been set up, envisaged to be in 2014.
- Regulator gives the greenlight to nuclear restarts
- GIB funds £110m waste wood renewable energy facility
- Scotland to establish a wave energy technology development body
- Sutton and East Surrey Water extends social tariff pilot
- Northumbrian Water to start £5m sewer upgrade to hit tougher EU bathing water targets
Decc said it expects between three and eight firms to bid for the contracts, which have been broken down into three regions across the UK: Northern GB including Scotland; central GB including Wales; and southern GB. Subject to a five year extension contracts will run for a maximum of 20 years, with a break clause anticipated after nine years.
The three contracts are each expected to be worth between £330 million and £1.525 billion. Decc said a single bidder could bid for one or all of the three lots.
The scope for each contract covers provision of the communications services for smart meters; supply of the communications module and connection of the communications service to one or more data centres.
Click here to see the notice.
The IT services contract covers developing and implementing software, hosting and application management services. It also includes integrating the data services and meter communications services and ensuring interoperability with the IT systems of the DCC's users.
The contract will run for up to 12 years and be worth up to £240 million.
Click here to see the details.
- First Utility calls for £25m smart meter PR campaign to be cancelled First Utility has called for the £25 million smart meter promotional campaign due to start next year to be cancelled...
- British Gas smart meter study shows 6 per cent fall in bills British Gas has concluded the first detailed study of smart meter use in homes, saying that customers could save up to 6 per...
- EUA lobbies Miliband ahead of 2015 election The Energy and Utilities Alliance (EUA) has called on party leaders to improve security of supply; improve energy...