Labour sets out 3-point energy plan as it slams 'out-of-touch' government
Labour is set to talk tough on energy market reform in an Opposition Day parliamentary debate this afternoon.
- EU energy policies to put bills up by a quarter by 2020, says think tank
- Ofgem demands suppliers fix their ‘frankly awful’ customer service
- Ofgem launches campaign to help students switch
- National Grid appoints new US executive director
- EU 2030 emissions reduction package hailed as ‘a historic moment’
In a policy review document published in advance, the party set out a three-point plan to keep down energy bills.
A Labour government would replace Ofgem with a more powerful watchdog, require energy companies to pool the power they generated and put over-75s on their cheapest tariff, it said.
Shadow energy secretary Caroline Flint MP said: "The time has come for a complete overhaul of our energy market, and Labour is the party with the ideas and strength to meet the massive challenges facing the country."
The party characterised the coalition government as out of touch and accused it of putting the interests of big energy companies ahead of customers.
"Families struggling with soaring energy bills and facing more price rises this winter deserve better than this shambolic government and clueless prime minister," continued Flint.
"We need a One Nation government to break the dominance of the energy giants, protect vulnerable customers from being ripped off and create a tough new energy regulator with the power to force energy companies to pass on savings to consumers."
- Ofgem launches campaign to help students switch A campaign to help students switch their energy supplier has been launched by Ofgem.
- Ofgem demands suppliers fix their ‘frankly awful’ customer service Ofgem has given energy suppliers until end of October to fix their “frankly awful” complaints handling procedures.
- Mapping the data universe Adopting a continual, proactive approach to information governance is essential if utilities are to meet the challenges of...